Understanding Hospital Bills and Health Insurance Claims
Centra's mission is to provide Excellent Care, Every Time to our patients. We understand that hospital bills and insurance claims can be confusing. We want to help you understand what Centra will do to assist you and how you can assist us.
Bills and Statements
- File a claim to your insurance carrier on your behalf. If you have more than one insurance carrier, we will file up to two insurance carriers. We will provide you, upon request, with claim forms for you to file to additional insurance carriers.
- Mail easy-to-read statements showing the most current balance owed by your insurance carrier or due from you. Statements will show the amount your insurance carrier paid and the remaining balance owed.
- Provide 24-hour access to your account through our online Patient Billing Manager and through our automated telephone system at 434-200-3777 option1.
- Provide access to a customer service representative to answer billing questions. Customer service representatives can assist you with questions concerning insurance benefits, hospital charges, payment options and to apply for federal, state or financial assistance programs.
- Provide access to a customer service representative who will help you determine if you qualify for Centra's financial assistance program, which can help uninsured and underinsured patients earning up to 400 percent of the federal poverty level with discounts from 55 to 100 percent.
- Provide access to a hospital associate who speaks your language. If we can not provide a customer service representative who speaks your language, we will arrange for translation assistance.
- Treat you with dignity and respect, regardless of your ability to pay.
How Can You Help Us –
Information about Billing Your Insurance
- Provide us with complete insurance carrier or third party information upon registration, including insurance identification cards, driver's license or picture identification and any changes to your personal or insurance information.
- Comply with any requirements of your insurance carrier, including submitting referral forms or completing coordination of benefits forms.
- Respond promptly to requests from your insurance carrier. Your insurance carrier may need a response from you to resolve issues related to your insurance coverage. If payment is not received from your insurance carrier in 60 days, we may request assistance in obtaining payment, or we may bill you for the unpaid balance.
Questions About Your Bill
- Call us if you have questions or concerns about your bill. Customer service representatives are available to assistance you by calling 434-200-3777 or 877-908-8707. For questions about your insurance coverage, check your health policy plan booklet or call the telephone number on your insurance card. Questions concerning physician bills should be directed to your physician office.
- Payment of your hospital bill is ultimately your responsibility, with the exception of Medicare, Medicaid, CHAMPUS and worker's compensation services. Pay your portion of the bill promptly or within 21 days after you receive a bill. For your convenience Centra accepts cash, personal check, money orders, Visa, Mastercard and Discover.
- Call us if you anticipate problems paying your bill. Customer service representatives can discuss payment alternatives and financial assistance options. Certain personal and financial information is required to apply for government or hospital financial assistance programs. Call customer service at 434-200-3777 or 877-908-8707, or send us an email.
Physician or Other Bills
Centra hospital bills do not include fees for physician services. You may receive more than one bill for your hospital or clinic visit. Several physicians or caregivers may have participated in your medical care, for which you should receive separate bills. Please contact these physicians or caregivers directly if you have any questions concerning their bill.